Just had to post about this since it got all crazy on me.
Last class lab we had to take care of creating a KDTree. It’s a type of spacial partitioning so you can cut down on the amount of collision detection code you run. It’s mainly so you don’t have an object on one side of a map and it’s still getting checked against things way far away that it couldn’t possibly collide with right now. Also could be used for rendering. Pretty killer. We learnt about quite a few types of partitioning methods, but this is the one we implemented right now. Learning about BSP and BVH today, so got a ton of info to cram into my head in the next couple days.
Totally drinking from the fire hose lately.
Had some issues with our 3rd test we had to implement. The program has some 10000 spheres in that small square space and there’s no way to test that many objects with any kind of frame rate. I derped out and had a problem with my sphere to plane check and the program grinded to something like .5 frames a second. Ugh. Once I figured out how stupid the mistake was I was totally relieved, but couldn’t believe that I had made it.
Code likes to sucker punch you if you get complacent, I swear.